This short essay on Newspaper is divided into a brief introduction, its classification, advantages, disadvantages and conclusion.
What is a Newspaper? A newspaper is a form of printed media consisting of a number of sheets of printed papers. It contains informative articles on news, education, events, reviews and advertisements.
The newspaper is a necessity in modern life. It is now printed in almost all languages and in all countries of the world.
It gives us news of what is happening in the world. We get various information relating to politics, religion, economy, society, movies, food, etc. from the newspaper.
Formerly newspapers contained only news. But now they contain not only news but also views on various subjects. Thus, now, there are various classes of papers. They can be classified according to the number of times they appear in a year. Some are printed daily, some twice in a week, some weekly, some fortnightly, and some monthly.
Advantages of Newspaper
Newspaper provides us all sorts of information, local, national, and international. We must know about the events that is happening everyday in the fields of politics, civic life, industry, commerce, fashion, sports, scientific achievements, arts and so on. Newspapers serve many purposes. They wield much influence and power.
- They keep us informed of what is happening in other parts of the country and the world. They give us information about the latest inventions, researches, discoveries, etc. and new ideas.
- The traders advertise their goods in the papers. This helps to push up the sale of their goods. Business, in modern times, cannot thrive without advertisement. Thus, newspapers help a good deal in trade.
- They build the nation and also guide the Government of the country. They generally make healthy criticisms of the activities of the Government. They point out its mistakes and set it on the right path.
- The social malpractices are brought to the notice of common people through this medium of communication.
- The news journalists report various incidents. They send accounts of wars and sporting events right from the place of occurrence.
- Newspaper quote inspiring speeches of famous and successful personalities.
The importance of Newspaper can never be denied. They serve as a link between the people and the Government.
Disadvantages of Newspaper
It has been said above that newspapers wield much power and influence. Now, this power can also be abused. In that case, it is capable of doing tremendous harm.
- It may spread communal hatred and foment rebellion or revolt.
- The reader may get deceived by false advertisements that may appear in a newspaper.
- The people at powerful positions may use the newspaper to create fabricated stories to create public opinion in their favor.
- Illiterate people are not able to read newspaper. They have to depend of others to read aloud the contents for them.
Many papers serve a particular interest and give biased views. Therefore, people should not be led away by false news or by the views of particular paper. They should exercise their own judgment and form their own opinion.
Category: Essays, Paragraphs and Articles
458 words essay on newspaper and its uses. Newspapers are powerful means of communication. They are important medium of mass communication. They are good source of knowledge and information. They are found all over the world. Newspapers are published in many languages. Every morning we eagerly wait for the newspaper to come.
Newspapers cater to the needs of various sections of society. A newspaper has great influence on society. It shapes public opinion and influences government policies and decisions. In a democratic society, they play the role of the guardian of the rights of the people. They serve as a link between the government and the people. They raise voice against the cruelties committed on the people. They reflect and mould the public opinions.
Newspapers have great educative value. Newspapers give us information about the happenings and developments taking place in any part of the world. They provide knowledge and information about things that happened in recent past.
Newspapers publish articles on various issues. They provide detail report on the issue. They enrich the knowledge of the people. Newspapers give vital information of all over the globe and add to our knowledge. Newspapers offer data related to different events. They also make the public familiar with the comments of expert on various issues. Such analytical reports and discussions enlighten the people.
Image Source: harfordcountyhealth.com
Newspapers mirror the public views. They provide solution to various social and economic problems. It is through newspapers that politicians come to know about the news and reviews of others on certain policies of government and political parties. Those interested in sports can learn about their favorite sports stars. They help the job seekers in finding jobs of their choice and preference. Newspapers give report about important business activities. A businessman comes to know about the moods and trends of market through newspapers. Newspapers provide weather forecasts. This immensely helps the farmers in deciding about the crops and their activities.
Moreover, newspapers help in developing reading habits. There are many people who don’t start their daily routine unless they go through the newspapers. There are candidates appearing in the various competitive examinations who regularly read the newspapers to keep themselves abreast of the current affairs. Newspapers have lots of materials to people of various tastes and choices. Even the aged and the ladies read the newspapers everyday as a matter of routine. Newspapers are affordable mass medium. Even people of low income can afford newspapers.
Thus newspapers play prominent role in a democracy. It should be free from the intervention of government. It should be fair in its reporting. Such a role of the newspapers and media is the crying need of the hour. Without newspapers we cannot know about the major events of the world. So we should cultivate a habit of reading newspapers.