Introductions, Body Paragraphs, and Conclusions for an Argument Paper
This resource outlines the generally accepted structure for introductions, body paragraphs, and conclusions in an academic argument paper. Keep in mind that this resource contains guidelines and not strict rules about organization. Your structure needs to be flexible enough to meet the requirements of your purpose and audience.
Contributors: Allen Brizee
Last Edited: 2018-02-09 01:03:40
The following sections outline the generally accepted structure for an academic argument paper. Keep in mind that these are guidelines and that your structure needs to be flexible enough to meet the requirements of your purpose and audience.
You may also use the following Purdue OWL resources to help you with your argument paper:
The introduction is the broad beginning of the paper that answers three important questions:
- What is this?
- Why am I reading it?
- What do you want me to do?
You should answer these questions by doing the following:
- Set the context –provide general information about the main idea, explaining the situation so the reader can make sense of the topic and the claims you make and support
- State why the main idea is important –tell the reader why he or she should care and keep reading. Your goal is to create a compelling, clear, and convincing essay people will want to read and act upon
- State your thesis/claim –compose a sentence or two stating the position you will support with logos (sound reasoning: induction, deduction), pathos (balanced emotional appeal), and ethos (author credibility).
For exploratory essays, your primary research question would replace your thesis statement so that the audience understands why you began your inquiry. An overview of the types of sources you explored might follow your research question.
If your argument paper is long, you may want to forecast how you will support your thesis by outlining the structure of your paper, the sources you will consider, and the opposition to your position. You can forecast your paper in many different ways depending on the type of paper you are writing. Your forecast could read something like this:
First, I will define key terms for my argument, and then I will provide some background of the situation. Next, I will outline the important positions of the argument and explain why I support one of these positions. Lastly, I will consider opposing positions and discuss why these positions are outdated. I will conclude with some ideas for taking action and possible directions for future research.
When writing a research paper, you may need to use a more formal, less personal tone. Your forecast might read like this:
This paper begins by providing key terms for the argument before providing background of the situation. Next, important positions are outlined and supported. To provide a more thorough explanation of these important positions, opposing positions are discussed. The paper concludes with some ideas for taking action and possible directions for future research.
Ask your instructor about what tone you should use when providing a forecast for your paper.
These are very general examples, but by adding some details on your specific topic, a forecast will effectively outline the structure of your paper so your readers can more easily follow your ideas.
Your thesis is more than a general statement about your main idea. It needs to establish a clear position you will support with balanced proofs (logos, pathos, ethos). Use the checklist below to help you create a thesis.
This section is adapted from Writing with a Thesis: A Rhetoric Reader by David Skwire and Sarah Skwire:
Make sure you avoid the following when creating your thesis:
- A thesis is not a title: Homes and schools (title) vs. Parents ought to participate more in the education of their children (good thesis).
- A thesis is not an announcement of the subject: My subject is the incompetence of the Supreme Court vs. The Supreme Court made a mistake when it ruled in favor of George W. Bush in the 2000 election.
- A thesis is not a statement of absolute fact: Jane Austen is the author of Pride and Prejudice.
- A thesis is not the whole essay: A thesis is your main idea/claim/refutation/problem-solution expressed in a single sentence or a combination of sentences.
- Please note that according to the MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers, Seventh Edition, "A thesis statement is a single sentence that formulates both your topic and your point of view" (Gibaldi 42). However, if your paper is more complex and requires a thesis statement, your thesis may require a combination of sentences.
Make sure you follow these guidelines when creating your thesis:
- A good thesis is unified:
NOT: Detective stories are not a high form of literature, but people have always been fascinated by them, and many fine writers have experimented with them
BETTER: Detective stories appeal to the basic human desire for thrills (concise).
- A good thesis is specific:
NOT: James Joyce’s Ulysses is very good. vs.
BETTER: James Joyce’s Ulysses helped create a new way for writers to deal with the unconscious.
- Try to be as specific as possible (without providing too much detail) when creating your thesis:
NOT: James Joyce’s Ulysses helped create a new way for writers to deal with the unconscious. vs.
BETTER: James Joyce’s Ulysses helped create a new way for writers to deal with the unconscious by utilizing the findings of Freudian psychology and introducing the techniques of literary stream-of-consciousness.
_____ The thesis/claim follows the guidelines outlined above
_____ The thesis/claim matches the requirements and goals of the assignment
_____ The thesis/claim is clear and easily recognizable
_____ The thesis/claim seems supportable by good reasoning/data, emotional appeal
Look for an Expert for your Lab Report Help
When looking for help with your lab report, you would require someone who is knowledgeable in the subject area to handle your paper. A lab report dramatically contributes to the final overall results of your course. The lab report is meant to state the experiment carried out in the laboratory and the outcome of the results.
For this reason, it’s essential to have services from a person who has majored in your relevant subject area. Any student taking science courses can agree that there is a lot put in place for an excellent report achievement. You need to have a good command of the English language and ensure that the scientific names have the correct pronunciation. Accuracy is critical and all the data presented should be accurate without errors. When you find yourself having a problem with the step by step order, consider getting help with your assignment.
The details to consider for Lab report writing
A lab report follows a strict protocol based on the findings of the experiment. It needs to show well-collected information that is neatly arranged to confirm your conclusions in a clear and precise way. If you are having a difficult time writing a lab report, you should seek help from expert writers who can deliver your work promptly. All you have to do is present your findings state the kind of experiment it is, and you’ll connect to the right writer that is well versed in your subject area.
How writing a lab report becomes easy when handled by the right person.
The team of writers that we have in our writing company has attained higher education in the all the sciences. It’s possible to get a well-written paper from scratch and not have to worry about it resembling your classmate’s work. When you provide clear instructions for the job, you need to be done you an on your way to having a well-written lab report. Here is a list of benefits you get when you have the right writing services:
- Affordability- when you need analytical chemistry lab report you can get it at a reasonable rate. As a student, you don’t want to spend too much money on extra expenses so you’ll be on the lookout for services that will not drain your available resources.
- Time efficiency- it’s important to have services offered to you that will still keep you in time with your school schedule. A student needs to submit their work promptly to avoid conflict with the tutor. Even though they are unable to do the job on their own due to different factors, it is still essential for the client to get their work on time hence it’s essential to get a writer that values your schedule.
- Expert writers- it helps to have a writer who is knowledgeable in the subject area that you require tackled. When the writer has gone through a similar course, it’s not hard to explain what you need to do. You are assured of the services that you will get; they are worked on by a professional whose priority is high quality.
- Privacy- when you get the right academic writing service providers they won’t share details with anyone. For this reason, there isn’t a possibility of your order linking back to you.
- Diversity in work done- you can get a chemistry lab report, Biology lab report, physics lab report and a formal lab report done for you. When you have good expert writers handling your work all you can do is make an order then wait, relax and go about your day.
- Availability of written samples- when you don’t really know how to do a lab report you should visit the website which you would like to consider for your writing needs and view their already written lab report. When their lab report example attracts good testimonials from other customers then you know it’s possible to rest and be confident in the work they can provide.
- Plagiarism free work- when looking for writing help with lab report, consider a provider that can give 100% plagiarism free work. They should use plagiarism checkers such as copy scale to ensure work that is original.
When looking for a company that has familiarity with writing a lab report, that has writers who have majored in all the relevant scientific fields, think of us. Being in the market for several years has helped us gain experience and aided in the provision of proficient services. Feel free to buy a lab order now!